The Friends of Wentworth Castle Gardens Association (The Friends) was established as a voluntary association in 1988.
The aims and objectives of the Association are to:
- Help preserve the gardens, grounds and monuments;
- Promote and develop the gardens;
- Increase public awareness of and access to the gardens;
- Enhance the value of the plant collections within the gardens;
- Sustain the habitat for natural species of flora and fauna that the gardens provide;
- Safe guard the environmental importance of the gardens.
Since the Association was formed, the Association has seen membership grow to nearly 200 members.
The Friends meet monthly at St James Hall, Wentworth Castle for an informative talk on a local topic of interest. Subjects cover a wide range of themes through the year and there is always something of interest for everyone. The group also organises tours to other sites of heritage interest, a fundraising Christmas Dinner and an annual Pie and Pea Supper.
A small committee also meets monthly to ensure the smooth running of the Association.
Funds raised by the Association are distributed back to the Trust by means of grants for purchase of items such as plants for the Garden, equipment for events and support for other expenditure.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Friends of Wentworth Castle Gardens please download and print a copy of the FriendsMembershipApplicationForm. Return the completed form, along with the membership fee, to the The Friends Membership Secretary at the following address:
The Friends Membership Secretary c/o Wentworth Castle Trust Lowe Lane Stainborough Barnsley S75 3ET
The annual subscription is £10.00 full rate, or £7.00 concessions (OAP, students, unwaged).